Saturday, January 31, 2015

Saying Goodbye is hard.

We had to say "see ya later" to one of our family members today. My sweet Abigail. She was 14 years old and had a cancerous tumor under her arm. Last night when we got home we noticed that it had popped, there was nothing more we could do. The vet said he could try to remove it but because of the kind of cancer it was and the location of the tumor, he wasn't sure he could get it all. Even then it could come back. Not to mention, the surgery is super painful. I didn't want my sweet girl to go through anymore pain and suffering. She handled pain like a champ, though. She was in pain, you could tell but she was still happy go lucky. She was the best dog. The most loyal and the sweetest. She was my best friend for 14 wonderful years, and I will never forget those years. I am completely heartbroken. This morning was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. I have never experienced losing a pet like this and it was hard, SO hard. I am glad that we were able to be there with her when she went, at least she had mommy and daddy there. The vet told us we did the right thing, and I truly believe that. It still hurts so badly though. It was so hard to come home to her not greeting us at the door. Yoda (my other dog) was so confused. He didn't understand (and still doesn't) where his sister is. He is acting weird, I hope he will be ok. He has never been alone in his life. When we got home, I took him outside to potty and when we came back inside I went to get him a treat like always and I grabbed two treats. I immediately teared up. Little things like that are going to be the hardest reminders that she is gone. At least now she is no longer in pain and is in a better place. She is living it up in heaven with all the french fries (her favorite) she could ever want. She would have loved the new baby. I think that is what is the hardest to think about. It breaks my heart that she won't be here to greet us when we come home from the hospital. She loved everyone. She was such a good dog. I love her so much and will miss her tremendously.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Whitney! Losing an animal is probably one of the hardest things. :( I hope Yoda is doing alright!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MISS THAT ABBY SHE WAS THE BEST DOG EVER LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just cried. I'm so sorry Whitney. Abby was the best dog. I loved her so much. She will be missed

    ReplyDelete